If you’re planning on renovating your basement, consider installing an emergency exit window, also called an egress window. These specially designed extra-large windows are intended to provide a fast, easy escape from your basement in the case of an emergency or fire. Today’s building codes encourage egress window installation for all finished basements, and is required for all basement bedrooms. For more information about installing an emergency exit window in your home, please give us a call at (703) 445-8060.
We can provide a free estimate, and give you any information you may need about the installation of an egress window.
This is what you need to know about basic building codes that pertain to egress window installation:
- Not every room in an basement needs a egress window, but every bedroom does.
- Any bedroom sized space with a closet constitutes a bedroom.
- The window opening must provide 6 sq. feet of access.
- The bottom of the opening may not be any more than 44 inches from the floor.
- An exterior window well must be dug to allow an easy exit if the window is installed below grade.
- The window well must be a minimum of 36×36 inches in size.
We are proud to help each of our customers and their families stay safe by providing them with the most advanced emergency exit window systems available today. As fully licensed, bonded, and insured contractors, you will get professional results at the most affordable rates around. We work on both new construction as well as existing properties, and are popular with both homeowners and business owners alike. MER Waterproofing also offers several other ways to enhance your basement space, such as Basement Lowering or the installation of an Air Quality Control System. For a free estimate on installing an egress window, please give us a call at (703) 445-8060 or fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you.